A group of friends and I decided to go way back and dig out season 2, Survivor: Australian Outback. Who would of thought that putting a group of strangers on an island with nothing but a few canteens of water and a bag of rice and beans could be so entertaining? Even going back to where film equipment was still developing and Jeff Probst was still learning his lines, Survivor literally outlasted many other shows.
Sitting there watching people make several attempts to start a fire and form relationships early on based on first impressions, I realized that this show, without fail, would intrigue me. I also realized, sitting with a group of college kids, that this show has lasted. This show, amongst many other reality TV shows, has endured through an entertainment industry that has developed and changed over the years. Shows like Fear Factor and Endurance are sporadically brought up in conversation, whereas Survivor is still that groundbreaking show that brought Americans the idea of what it would be like to outwit, outplay, and outlast complete strangers to come out the soul survivor.
Media can last. Shows can live on and people can still watch them. Even taking the idea of "#throwbackthursday" literally and going back to the start can help you see the changes in media and how far we've come. Hearing the words, "The tribe has spoken," will never get old.
So I read this and was thinking back to the days when my family would watch survivor, such good times. And then I clicked on your video. Literally, the minute this started playing i was like, "I remember this season!". I might have screamed a little bit when Colby showed up... he was definitely our favorite. I remember Jerri, Amber, and Gina too! It really is crazy how media has changed and how certain shows stick with us.
ReplyDeleteMy mom is obsessed with Survivor. I guess I find myself sitting on the couch next to her tuned into the show at times. It is crazy how much it has changed and how the game has even changed by those who have watched it and mentally have the game planned out from day 1. Intense.
ReplyDelete#thetribehasspoken